Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day range report

So it was clear and sunny with temperatures in the mid 70's this past weekend here in NC and a perfect day to hit the range. I packed up my new 10/22 and my trusty Ruger SR-9 and drove off to meet up with a few friends from AR15.com. The plan was to go to the range, make a ton of noise, and eat some decent jambalaya. That usually makes for a good time.

Well, on the way out there, I stopped at a gun shop I had never been to before hoping to pick up a couple extra magazines for the 10/22. All the guy had in stock was one Butler Creek steel lips 25 round magazine, so I took it. Here is a nice picture of one.


Next it was off to Wal-Mart to pick up a bulk pack of federal brown box .22lr. While I was there I also picked up two boxes of WWB 9mm and then decided to get a cheap red dot sight for the 10/22.

The sight I got is the BSA RD30, an inexpensive sight, but good for the price. Its not a small sight, but its not so bulky that it gets in the way, and its really light. Using it outdoors, i had to set the brightness of the dot to the maximum settings, and after a little fiddling around with the elevation and windage adjustments, it was dead on. Here is a picture of one below.


I didn't shoot my SR9 a whole lot, I already know it is reliable and since I was at a rifle range, there wasn't a whole lot of close targets. I did manage to put about 300 rounds through the 10/22 without a single failure. That gun is a dream to shoot, though I am definitely going to have to get the little buffer for it that smooths out the action. Something else I am going to have to invest in for it is a magazine loader. One of the other guys at the range had one for his 10/22 and man what a difference that thing makes.

I also got to shoot a really nice AR-10 in .308, the only problems there were a tough trigger pull and the sheer torque that gun has when fired. I don't know if it was the hand loads that were being used, or just the barrel being too short, but every shot I fired made that gun want to twist right out of my hands. Thing was dead on accurate though, so I suppose I cant complain too much.

All in all, it was a great day to be outdoors among friends and the smell of gunpowder.

No comments: